Going to the Movies

Mr. Aerten and I love movies.  We have a moderately large collection of movies, and we try to see movies at the theater every week.  So here’s my rant about that…

The nicest theaters in the area are the new one at the Colonie Center Mall.  You’d think they would have created more parking when they remodeled the mall and added the theaters (and two popular restaurants).  But nooooo.  There’s barely enough parking these days.  And now that the Retailers of America have decided that the Christmas Season well before Christmas, there is no parking over there.  What is wrong with you people??!  Christmas shopping season used to start the day after Thanksgiving.  It was a big deal.  These days, Christmas shopping season starts before Halloween.  What’s up with that?

So last Saturday, we went to Colonie to see Quantum of Solace.  Good movie… and I think Daniel Craig is the first Bond that’s believable as a ruthless spy (as opposed to all the others who were just spy-like ladies’ men).  Due to my extreme displeasure at having to actually walk through ::gasp:: a store, however, on Sunday we went to Latham Circle Mall Theaters to see Bolt (cute story, and there were some good laughs).  I’ll be going over to either The Spectrum or Latham for my movies until this holiday shopping nonsense is over.

Bah humbug!

6 Responses to “Going to the Movies”

1. November 30th, 2008 | 2:50 pm

I love the movie theater at Colonie. I saw Wall-E there.. and Get Smart. I work off of Wolf Road so I got to see them build them day by day.

I thought there was going to be an IMAX theater there but I guess not.

Sew Crazy Dog Lady’s last blog post..Smart Business Owners Carry Cards

2. Kelly
    November 30th, 2008 | 4:13 pm

I see pretty much everything there (except at holiday time), though there are some things you can only see at the Spectrum.

I think the only IMAX in the area is at Crossgates, though I’d heard a rumor that there was going to be one at Colonie, too. I’m not a native, so I don’t have the same loathing for Crossgates that some in the area do. I do, however, have my own loathing for it. Ugh. Too big and too many empty stores. So I’ll have to skip the IMAX experience, I’m afraid.

3. December 2nd, 2008 | 11:18 am

Umm… is this blog open to outsiders? I feel like I am intruding. Going away now. :)

Relax Max’s last blog post..Gone on long enough

4. Kelly
    December 2nd, 2008 | 1:50 pm

Several people outside my head read this blog. Don’t go away… I think you’ll like some of them… like that nut Paul I went to grade school with. hee hee

5. December 2nd, 2008 | 4:18 pm

Crossgates having empty storefronts? My how the times have changed – last time, a few years ago (and every time before that) all the storefronts were filled, but I suppose in the current economic climate that things have changed.

Conversely, the Latham Mall – went there once in the 90s – definitely felt like the ghetto empty mall. I don’t know if that’s changed – they probably still have Burlington Coat Factory. Colonie Center’s always been nice but again it’s been years since I’ve trekked down there.

Redbeard76′s last blog post..Taking a Break

6. Kelly
    December 2nd, 2008 | 7:18 pm

Oh yes. Empty storefronts at Crossgates. They probably filled them with temporary merchants for the holidays, but come January, they’ll be empty again.

Latham Mall is still a ghetto. :) But Burlington Coat Factory IS still there… as is JC Penney. The rest seems subject to change on a regular basis.

And the remodeled Colonie Center is worth visiting… after the holidays! In fact, come on down and I’ll meet you and the family there. They’ve got two new (excellent) restaurants… PF Chang’s and The Cheesecake Factory… in addition to the most excellent theaters.