Voicemail

Just a quick thought here…

Why do so many people call me on my home phone in the middle of the day and refuse to leave a message?  Do they think I’m going to psychically know who they are and why they called?

Ok, so it’s true that I don’t bother calling most people back anyway, but still…  I had 17 missed calls the other day and one voicemail message.

And do they even listen to my message?  It’s very clever, I tell you!

Hello!  You have reached the home phone number of Kelly and Mike.  We are not answering the phone because it is far away, and we are not going to hurt ourselves or kill ourselves running to answer it before it stops ringing.  Sorry.  We value our limbs.  So leave a message and we will… get the message.  Alright!  Thank you!  Bye-bye!

See?  Clever!  (By the way, in case anyone was wondering, it was my doctor who left the message and he said he valued my limbs, too.  And that the results from last week’s bone density scan were all normal.  Woo hoo.)

Leave a message after the beep.

8 Responses to “Voicemail”

1. July 21st, 2008 | 6:30 pm

LOL it is good to see that your doctor has a sense of humor.

As for why people don’t leave messages, I usually go with the theory that if it is not important enough for them to have left a message then they *really* didn’t need to be calling in the first place.

All my mates know if they want to catch me to leave a message (or better yet email me) and I will give them a buzz back when I can.

Stuart

Stuart – SecludedHabitat’s last blog post..The consumption of alcohol in modern society…

2. July 21st, 2008 | 7:21 pm

LOL very clever message :-)

Jennifer’s last blog post..I’ll take a bottle of Bitch

3. July 22nd, 2008 | 1:21 pm

I like your doc!

I often make calls during the time I’m waiting to leave the house to go somewhere. I’ll sometimes forgo leaving a message to avoid the phone tag game, especially if I’m going somewhere I won’t be able to take the call – like rehearsal or the dentist’s office.

Otherwise, I’m a rabid message leaver. So, what’s your number? ;-)

Carol’s last blog post..Interview with Brittany Fromovich

4. July 22nd, 2008 | 2:45 pm

Love love love your message, rofl.

I get a bunch of hang ups too… and then when it is a message it’s usually a telemarketer and so I get the ass end of the message which makes no sense whatsoever.

Last week, I took my phone off the hook and left it like that for 4 days. It was so peaceful.

Monique’s last blog post..Why Must You Make Me Be Mean?

5. Kelly
    July 22nd, 2008 | 2:45 pm

@Stuart… my doctor is great! He’s a little anal-retentive about making sure I visit him and have all kinds of tests done every year… but I’ll stick with him until he retires.

@Jennifer… my last one was wackier, but this one actually makes more sense.

@Carol… oh, no! I’m so not giving my number to anyone! LOL You’ll just call, and then I’ll have more unknown caller id numbers on my phone, and that will drive me crazy… er, crazier… and we can’t have THAT!

6. Kelly
    July 22nd, 2008 | 3:02 pm

Ha! I’ve had the ringer turned off for the past month. Maybe I should just put a new message on the phone. “Yo. Don’t leave a message. I don’t want to talk to you. I won’t call you back. Go away.” I’ll bet I get more people leaving messages.

7. Tam
    July 23rd, 2008 | 7:33 am

Love the message.

I have the opposite problem. People leaving voicemails on my mobile (cellphone) just to say they called.

“Hi Tam, I called because I wanted to get in touch with you about something. You didn’t answer the phone, so I’m leaving this message. Call me back if you can, or if not, I’ll try again later. Thanks very much. Oh, by the way, it’s your dad.”

Argh, it’s like a minute long message that I have to pay about 25p to listen to when he doesn’t say anything that I couldn’t have assertained simply from the fact that the display says I have a missed call from him.

Tam’s last blog post..How to be a hack (lesson one)

8. Kelly
    July 27th, 2008 | 2:13 pm

@Tam… I’ve finally trained people not to do that. Well, mostly. My baby brother still does it, but he does it to tease me, so that’s ok.