Sean Connery

I have a friend who has been telling me for at least a year that I need a Tom Tom. It’s a geek thing. I don’t really need a Tom Tom, because one of the important lessons I learned from my dad was how to read a map. Give me a map, and I can get anywhere! And even when Google Maps and Mapquest lie to me (something they seem to be doing more frequently lately), 99 out of a 100 times, I’ll still be able to find what I’m looking for.

But that’s not the way geeks do things, you see. We need our gadgets. For last month’s trip down to New York City, another friend brought along her Tom Tom (which I christened ‘Chatty Cathy’ for its bad habit of interrupting conversations). I kind of enjoyed knowing that the next exit was on the left and exactly how far the next turn was. So I was more inclined to consider buying one.

And then I visited the Tom Tom website and checked out the voices that could be downloaded into the Tom Tom. I discovered ‘Andy’, who sounds suspiciously like Sean Connery.

My new Tom Tom arrived last night. Sean and I are going to the grocery store now.  He’s a bit of a smartass, and I think we’re going to get along just fine.

6 Responses to “Sean Connery”

1. July 13th, 2008 | 1:52 am

I have one of those gps devices for my car, and it’s been the best thing for me, I’m pretty much map/road blind. It has definitely minimized the time of getting lost, definitely has paid for itself with the all the gas I saved! :)

2. MP
    July 13th, 2008 | 1:19 pm

You are now part of the cool crowd – I would like to take this time to welcome you. “Welcome.”

The only thing left to do will be to name it. Now it can’t be too ridiculous as you will need to have conversations with someone as if your GPS is capable of having human-like emotions. Take for an example this normal every day conversation one might have:

Stoddart (without TomTom):
    It was absolutely terrible, my wife left the maps for Martha’s Vineyard in the Rolls Royce. You cannot imagine the difficulty my driver Alcott had finding the new summer home.

Claxton (with TomTom):
    What a shame… my mistress Veronica ((aka TomTom)) was such a dear and found me the loveliest place to have afternoon tea. She was even so kind as to tell me the quickest way back to the estate while avoiding a road that may have dirtied my Maybach. Stoddart, you should rid yourself of that whore of a wife.

I think everyone reading this blog could easily relate to such and will in turn immediately buy a TomTom.

3. Kelly
    July 13th, 2008 | 6:07 pm

@od… oh, if only these things existed back when my mother was alive! She would have never gotten lost in that K-Mart parking lot…

@MP… dude, you showed up! The rejoicing will continue for weeks! And I will be sure to pick out an appropriate name for my Tom Tom. Since I have many voices to choose from (including my dear Andy/Sean), I believe I should have multiple names to really throw people off. I’m sure you’ll advise me in this matter, yes? And it’s too bad I’m not one of those pay-per-post blogs. No doubt millions of people will now be going out to purchase their very own Tom Tom.

4. July 14th, 2008 | 8:08 am

I used my sister’s Tom Tom once. It was great until I got lost.

Enjoy your new gizmo!

Carol’s last blog post..Next Week on She Lives

5. July 16th, 2008 | 6:17 pm

I think it would be nice to have a Tom Tom as an emergency backup. But I find that when I’m driving with a navigation system, I turn off my inner navigator and don’t pay attention to HOW I got some place. Drives me nuts!

As for that Sean Connery voice, now I could get into that. :)

haleyhughes’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Balderdash

6. Kelly
    July 16th, 2008 | 7:24 pm

@Haley… Well, so far my inner navigator has been able to tell Sean where to stick it. Just yesterday, he tried to take me some weird way to a friend’s house. Apparently I told him to avoid toll roads and he thinks ALL of I-90 is a toll road. No, no Sean! If you don’t go west of I-87, it’s NOT a toll road. LOL

P.S. Welcome to Blah Blah Blah!